Monday 18 March 2013

Supp review - beta!!

Well as I mentioned in my previous blog post in regards to Miracles, I have brought and am now trialing some good old stock standard Beta-alanine amino acid.

Sources state that β-Alanine (or beta-alanine) has been shown to increase the concentration of carnosine in muscles, decrease fatigue in athletes and increase total muscular work done. see references from Wikipedia below.

This means that essentially you should be able to exhaust your muscles beyond the norm and create hypertrophy and or endurance in your applied activity.

I went into the test a little bit sceptical as a few recent preworkout supps have left me a little disappointed as far as really not doing anything. And on the first 7 mins as I drove to gym, I felt nothing. What a waste, maybe I would feel something once the workout started. Perhaps some super strength.

But then as I almost arrived at the gym, I started to feel a tingle. My ears has a weird little itch, and then the tip of my nose. Then my arms began to tingle… and I could tell that the sup had started sinking in.

It was chest day, and I was able to push out my routine with what felt like more energy and less fatigue. I smashed my personal record for incline bench press and by the end of the workout dips and push ups were not a problem (last week was a struggle without the beta.)

Today was arms day. The routine was fresh so I didn’t have the last weeks comparison to gauge it against. However there was no problem going beyond my usual for reps weight and overall workout length of time. As you start to move your target muscle group the tingles become noticeable in those areas, it is quite a sensation, and it was not a once time affair that lasted a few minutes, it remained and sustained over the one and a half hour session.

I will continue to use this supplement and keep everyone updated on how it goes for me, long term effects and short.

OMG bring on legs day…

References below

(Derave W, Ozdemir MS, Harris R, Pottier A, Reyngoudt H, Koppo K, Wise JA, Achten E. (August 9, 2007). "Beta-alanine supplementation augments muscle carnosine content and attenuates fatigue during repeated isokinetic contraction bouts in trained sprinters". J Appl Physiol 103 (5): 1736.doi:10.1152/japplphysiol.00397.2007.PMID 17690198.
Hill CA, Harris RC, Kim HJ, Harris BD, Sale C, Boobis LH, Kim CK, Wise JA. (2007). "Influence of beta-alanine supplementation on skeletal muscle carnosine concentrations and high intensity cycling capacity". Amino Acids32 (2): 225–33. doi:10.1007/s00726-006-0364-4. PMID 16868650.)


2 comments:

  1. Ok so first week in. I worked so hard and put so much extra effort in for the first 3 days that by Thursday I needed a rest day. The tingles continue and the energy is definately there. I will post my results for the next week also. Woo yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. New update.
    Since starting on the beta I have gone from 86kg and 12% body fat to 90.3kg 12.7% body fat as at 27/4 that's 4.3 kg of muscle added in 6 weeks. Super psyched!

    ReplyDelete